Delivering for Spokane
- Secured over $1 billion for new transportation investments in our community to create jobs and promote the interconnectivity of our region, including $878.9 million to connect the North Spokane Corridor to I-90, $15 million to kick-start the Central City Line transit system, and $8.8 million for the U-District Gateway Bridge.
- Delivered $11.8 million to enable WSU Spokane to pursue accreditation for a new medical school.
- Funded key infrastructure improvements for community service centers, including $300,000 for the Corbin Senior Activity Center elevator, $300,000 for Women & Children’s Free Restaurant’s new home, $85,000 for the MLK Jr. Family Outreach Center redesign, and $230,000 to expand daycare slots at the Peaceful Valley Community Center.
Protecting Kids, Families and our most Vulnerable
- Secured funding for vital community services, including $400,000 for the Northwest Autism Center and $188,000 for Partners With Families & Children’s medical program for victims of child abuse.
- Promoted increased funding to address youth homelessness and fought off a damaging restructuring of the Aged, Blind and Disabled program.
- Increased investments in mental health services and passed legislation to improve quality mental health care and substance abuse treatment.
Investing in Education
- Secured an additional $159 million to increase access to high-quality early-learning programs.
- Delivered $1.3 billion in new investments for education so that every child has an opportunity to thrive.
- Sponsored legislation to help ease the classroom crunch in our over-crowded schools.
- Lowered tuition at Washington’s public colleges and universities for the first time in state history.
- Recipient of the 2016 Legislator of the Year Award from the Student Government Council of WSU, and be recognized as the 2013 Washington Student Association Legislator of the Year.
Creating a Healthier Washington
- Prime-sponsored and passed legislation paving the way for a new WSU medical school in Spokane.
- Expanded Medicaid to cover more than 35,000 previously uninsured people in Spokane County and ensure they have access to the health and dental care they need.
- Sponsored and helped pass bills to improve health screenings for Washington’s children, including legislation to reduce delays and cover heart screenings, as well as a bill to ensure access to developmental and autism screenings for all of Washington’s children, regardless of their family’s economic situation.
- Established the “Apple a Day” kitchen equipment grant to increase healthy food in schools, and sponsored legislation to promote PE in neighborhood schools.
- Recipient of the 2016 Washington State Alliance of YMCAS Y Legislative Champion Award and the 2015 Washington Sustainable Food & Farming Network Advocate Award.
Standing up for the Middle Class
- Prime-sponsored legislation to hold corporations accountable to taxpayers and promote good-paying jobs in our community.
- Passed a workplace safety bill ensuring protective equipment for our individual home care providers to improve safety precautions for workers and their clients, and to reduce the burden on a workforce critical to our healthcare delivery system.
- Co-sponsored legislation to raise the minimum wage and require paid sick leave, because all workers deserve a living wage and no one should have to choose between going to work sick or being forced to give up pay they need to make ends meet.